Monday, April 29, 2013

"When I wear my wig, I know something big is going to happen."

"It makes me feel like I have more responsibility. I think I exude more energy than without it. It's magical."

Lawyers in Hong Kong, and the traditional wigs they love.
"It's a tradition that really dignifies our profession, especially in the context of our commitment to uphold the city's justice," says [Kevin] Tang....

The barristers' prestige emanates not only from the wig, but because they number in the hundreds, compared with the city's thousands of solicitors. Though solicitors have more training, top barristers are typically better paid and because they appear in court, have higher profiles as well. Even the Cantonese translation for barrister is "big lawyer," while the term for solicitor is simply "lawyer."
Solicitors would like to be allowed to wear the wigs.

No comments:

Post a Comment